Enabling green and digital innovation to fight food waste in Europe

Menu

Strongholds

 

Enabling green and digital innovation to fight food waste in Europe

In Europe, approximately 88 million tonnes (equivalent to 173 kg per person) of food is wasted every year across the entire value chain. This corresponds to 20% of all food produced. More than 70% of waste arises in households, together with the catering and retail sectors, whilst production and processing accounts for the remaining 30%.

Addressing food waste is crucial if we are to achieve better food security, responsible use of natural resources and ensure sustainable economic growth. In Europe, we have committed to meet the food loss and waste reduction targets adopted by the United Nations General Assembly as part of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, and further complemented these goals by new ambitious targets in the Farm to Fork Strategy.

Denmark has put the prevention of food waste high on its political agenda. Government campaigns to increase consumer awareness, coupled with various private sector initiatives and public-private partnerships have had favourable results. The majority of other EU countries have developed national plans or strategies for food waste reduction and put in place multi-stakeholder partnerships in the food value chain to help spread knowledge, find solutions and join up efforts in food waste prevention.

Tackling food waste necessitates the mobilisation of the different players along the supply chain to responsibly handle food, from promoting sustainable business models and utilising innovative technology to improved nutritional and consumption approaches. Innovation and technological progress, including digitalisation has also brought forward cutting-edge solutions to address the environmental and societal challenges of food waste while contributing to economic growth.

With less than 10 years left to meet the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, this topic is more crucial than ever. With this in mind, this event will facilitate an exchange on best practices in the reduction of food waste, including how we can better exploit innovative solutions and data to transform our food systems for enhanced food security and sustainable business opportunities.

Program

10.30 – 10.33: Introduction to the event
Méabh McMahon, Moderator

10.33 – 10.41: Keynote speech
Speaker (tbc)

10.41 – 11.20: How technologies can prevent and optimise food waste
Moderated by Méabh McMahon

Remarks by Jarl Frijs-Madsen, Danish Ambassador to the Netherlands

  • Annemarie Meisling, Senior Director, Corporate Affairs, Chr Hansen
  • Anna-Karin Modin-Edman, Senior Sustainability Manager, Arla Foods
  • Tobias Lau, Beyond Coffee
  • Søren Ejlersen, Aarstiderne
  • Katelijne Berx, HelloFresh Nordics

11.20 – 12.25: Panel discussion and Q&A
Moderated by Méabh McMahon

Remarks by Odd Sinding, Danish Ambassador to Belgium

How can stakeholders’ actions minimise wasting food and create new
opportunities?
Panel debate with the above speakers to be joined by:

  • Selina Juul, Founder, Stop Wasting Food
  • Ignace De Nollin, SmartWithFood
  • Toine Timmermans, Samen Tegen Voedselverspilling
  • Patricia De Clercq, Government of Flanders – Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
  • Greet Maenhout, Head of Unit, Bioeconomy, JRC
  • Maurits Groen, Wholy Greens
  • Laurence Gouthière, ADEME, The French Agency for Ecological Transition

12.25 – 12.30: Concluding remarks
Lise Walbom, CEO, Food Nation

When and where?

Date: 19 September 2022
Time: 10.30 to 12.30 pm
Registration: Please send an email to Kerry Louise O’Donoghue, Commercial Advisor, The Permanent Representation of Denmark to the EU: kerodo@um.dk

The event is organised by