Stay updated on news and events

Subscribe to newsletter

Danish fruit and vegetables once again have the lowest pesticide residues

Half of the food samples tested in the Danish pesticide control in 2017 are completely free of pesticide residues.

Danish food contains fewer pesticide residues than similar foreign food products. This is proved in the annual pesticide report for 2017 from the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration and the National Danish Food Institute. Generally, Danish crops contain fewer pesticide residues than similar foreign products. Therefore, consumers can minimize their pesticide intake by selecting Danish-produced crops in the fruit and vegetable department. The report shows that 97% of a total of 2,009 analyzed food samples that were tested contain either no pesticide residues or residues below the permitted limit. The samples of fruit, vegetables, processed and animal products were tested for residues of 326 different pesticides.

Pesticide residues have been detected in half of the samples of Danish origin, while the figure is 76% for fruit produced in the rest of the EU and 73% for fruit produced outside the EU. In Danish-grown vegetables, pesticide residues have been found in 27% of the samples, while the figure is 52% for vegetables produced in the rest of the EU and 48% for vegetables produced outside the EU. More often, more than one pesticide is found in the same sample of foreign food compared to the Danish products examined. The results show that none of the detected pesticide poses a health risk.

Investigated for many different pesticides

The samples of fruits, vegetables, cereals, processed products and meat were examined for 326 different pesticides. In organic foods, pesticide residues have been found in three of the 179 tested samples. The Danish Food and Veterinary Administration has therefore assessed that the organic rules are complied within all three cases.

Source: Danish Agriculture & Food Council